Father’s day is here and for the man dealing with infertility it can be pretty tough. How do you deal with the public adulation from children to their father and from mums to the father of their children?
Often men do not express their feelings, the focus of infertility is on the female.
The emotional roller coaster faced by men Is made worse at this time of the year when fathers are being appreciated.
The fact that a man does not express his feelings does not mean that they feel nothing.
The inability to father a child is very much felt by man as it is women
So how do you deal with Father’s Day as a man facing infertility?
Here are 6 ways to deal with Father’s day celebration.
1. Stay focus on what’s important: often we take our eyes off the important things in life, like good friends, partners, good health and family support. Stay focus on these instead of your inability to be a dad.
2. Appreciate the good things in your life right now. Do you have a supportive spouse this is the time to appreciate and celebrate them.
Do you have a good community of friends who understand the situation you are in. Appreciate them and show them you care for and value their support.
3. Allow yourself to be hopeful : it is very tempting to lock up your emotions and shut out every mention of the word Father’s Day. However this may be a chance for you to allow yourself to be hopeful.
You may not be a father today, and are faced with many challenges, regardless be hopeful. Be hopeful that perhaps this too will pass. And one day you too will be called father, papa or dad.
4. Reflect: If the celebration of Father’s Day is too much to handle, use this time to go away from it all and reflect. Reflect on the process and what you have become. If you have become bitter, search and see if there is a way you can become more appreciate of the live and love you have.
This is also a time to think about your partner, have you drifted apart as a result of infertility? Plan ways to rekindle the love you once felt. Also use this as an opportunity to talk about the future, dream together and plan together.
5. Pray and believe: infertility for men ca be especially difficult as men often pride themselves as giver of live. Most talk about their prowess is the bedroom. To be faced with infertility is bog knock on their ego. Still pray and believe you can father a child via legal means. Consider the possibilities and be hopeful to the point of believe.
So you may not be a father today? Tomorrow is a new day. Let yourself celebrate all that is good and true in you. Appreciate what you have and face the future with renewed strength and faith in your body.
Your partner in Hope.